IndigoMuse Knits

Thursday, June 10, 2004

What does knitting have to do with the last day of school?

So its the last day of school for my boyz. Which means that they get to stay home with me ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT for the next three months. Okay, so at this point, I'm not exactly thrilled with the prospect just because we're in such close quarters but once we move, it should be kinda nice. Considering that this is the first summer that I'm working from home, having them here all summer will be challenging to say the least. I did teach them to knit a couple of weeks ago and they've both started on projects for the summer so hopefully their hands will stay busy.

So anyway, their liberal art, fun loving hippie, earth mother school (yup, we used to follow the Dead) has a wonderful celebration program at the end of each school year where the kids reflect on the theme for the year. Considering that this program runs about two plus hours, I was kinda dreading it. Before I hopped into the shower, I peeked at my ever growing stash just to say "hello." My new Uruguayan yarn purchase smiled up at me out of the huge Rubbermaid container and whispered "touch me, caress me, KNIT me." I'd forgotten how rich the colors were and that I have SO many new skeins of Manos type yarn to play with. But it was a cute handpainted wool boucle skein that whispered to me. It is a fine boucle with yummy tinges of rust, amber and squash colors running throughout. I've never knit with such a yarn and decided to pull her out and give her another look. I HAD to bring it with me and quickly decided to abandon another boucle wool in favor of this one to make a shawl. Ah, it was so nice to have a little project to work on while the kids waxed poetic about their experiences at the school. AND to my surprise, several others including the music teacher, had brought knitting with them too! I'm sooooo glad that I didn't miss the opportunity to run some wool through my fingers. What did I do to pass the time during Celebration in the past? Last day of school RULZ!

No comments: